Who is the CNE?
The purpose of the Center for Nursing Excellence is to provide leadership for enhancing the highest quality evidence-based nursing practice, research, educational initiatives, and partnerships within the UAB Health System entities and our communities as well as other academic and health care institutions.
The mission of the Center for Nursing Excellence is to provide an environment to support outstanding evidence-based nursing practice, research, education, and leadership opportunities that promote excellence in professional nursing practice.
The Center for Nursing Excellence is located on the 10th Floor of Jefferson Towers and at the Eyster Building.
Email the CNE at email@example.com.
About this Site
The Center for Nursing Excellence, the Evidence Based Nursing and Research Council, and the UAB Librarians have designed this site to help you incorporate evidence based practice and research into your daily clinical practice.
As a Magnet Hospital, it is expected that:
- all nurses understand the distinctions between quality improvement, evidence based practice, and nursing research
- nursing practice reflects the outcomes of quality improvement, evidence based practice, and nursing research
- staff nurses on all shifts can articulate their own understanding of the sources of evidence (see examples below) across the organization as they relate to their practice and/or patient care
- the organization contributes to one or more nationally benchmarked (at the unit level) databases
- there are action plans for nurse sensitive clinical indicators that are below the benchmarked midpoint
- there are action plans for patient and nurse satisfaction scores that are below the benchmarked midpoint
- all nurses present and publish evidence based practice and research results
Examples of Projects at UAB Hospital
- HOTSPUD on MICU
- Decreasing Central Line Infections on CICU
- Critical Lab Documentation on CCU
Evidence Based Practice:
- CUSP Project in SICU
- Decreasing Central Line Infections by Using Stabilization Bundles on MICU
- Introducing Journal Clubs to Increase Nurse Knowledge on Women and Infants
- Oral Mouth Care Study on MICU
- Improving Heart Failure Outcomes on 6NW
Do you want your project listed here? Email the Center for Nursing Excellence and let us know!